I was sixteen. It was 3 in the afternoon and my friend and I were walking to a shopping place in northern Tehran, Tajrish. We were wearing long black mantles and black scarfs, just like anyone else at those times. We had recently bought a very pale girlish lipstick, and we were so happy to use it. The color was so subtle that was barely seen on our lips. As a daily routine for a teenager girl in Tehran, we had been followed by dirty men many times but that day it was different. He was on his car following us with low speed, using vulgar language. We were told (it's so silly) not to say anything back and hence we were pretending we don't hear. Then there was another car passing by, and the driver noticed we are in sort of trouble. He stopped and in an Iranian way started a fight with the guy. We were afraid and didn't know what to do. It was at that time that a woman in a black chador appeared out of nowhere and started shouting at us "You dirty slots, see what a trouble you have made? Look at your disgusting faces. You put that shit on your lips (and while saying that her fist came down on our lips) and make all these problems." We didn't know what to do... I just remember that we took a taxi and came back home. My friend's lips were bleeding...
Yesterday a man followed me by his car. Ironically it was 3 in the afternoon. He asked me to get in. I was afraid and didn't say anything... He followed me and and followed me and followed me... I just reached home scared and was even more scared that now he knows where I live. I was not thinking about calling the police because I didn't think what he was doing is a crime. When I reached home, my friends advised me to call the police and file a report. I did so... In less than 5 minutes two cops were in my house. They filed a report and were asking about his appearance. They told me that in this country following someone IS A CRIME. They were surprised that why I have not called the police right away. I didn't say that it is just because of the cultural difference. It's because somewhere deep in my mind, I think the blame would be on the woman...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment