Monday, June 26, 2006

Minorities

Few nights ago we had a painful discussion with some friends. They are Kurds and they believe in independent Kurdistan. The problem started when one of them started using phrases like "your rules", "your education system" and so on... He used this "You" kind of thing again and again. And we were shocked to hear that those are ours! Because we are also suffering from plenty of them... And the worse thing was that he said we sympathize with him because of our education, or art or whatever. He said he likes a friend of mine because of his paintings. It was too much reticules. I adore this man because of the human he is. Because of his kindness, caring, honesty....

I believe a minority is not necessarily defined as the group of people who are less in comparison with others. I think a weighted average should be taken into account. For example, the number of women in Iran is more than men, but if you consider how much power they have, you'll see they are in minority.

I think unless we minorities cannot listen to each other and try to understand and sympathies with each other, nothing can happen. If he says he can't study in his mother tongue, I accept it's not fair, but in a court I'll speak in my mother tongue and yet it will be counted as a half. Till we don't realize this, till we wont be able to do something for other minorities, nothing can happen...

No comments: